Tuesday, June 26, 2007

What Have I Done?



My friend Sally asked me to help out this one week at violin camp. Yes I did say violin. Anyway, They needed a person to run the craft room for the week. Which also meant that I had to come up with the craft ideas. A crash course in teaching it's been. No time to pee or eat. Well, not at least for myself. I'm used to two talking at me at once but have discovered that I am overwhelmed at any number more than 5 talking to me at once.

The upside is that the DS and DD get to participate in violin camp for a week. Something that I could not afford. The DD is having a blast and is playing "Ode to Joy" already. It is recognizable. She is challenging herself by learning fingering positions and is totally digging the violin. She has actually had one in her hands a total of 3 days and has impressed all of her teachers.

The DS has clung to my leg and is asking to nurse at inopportune times. But, he is digging that we are in a school that has potties and sinks just his size. He's been requesting that I take him to the potty so he can use it like a "big man." He says in his lowest deepest voice.

I'm up to the wee hours trying to print out photos for a momento project that we are creating.

Tomorrow will be filled with animal puppets for the small ones and prop making for the older kids. They will be performing various Beethoven pieces and reading from "Beethoven Lives Upstairs." The 8 year olds are all about making a coffin and the older kids have a couple of props they want to make. Top hats, crazy wigs, and some music note signs that fall when the da da da duh is played from the ninth.

I've learned more about the violin these last three days than I have in my whole life.

The best reward is watching the girl get the violin out to practice on her own. This morning she even buckled the violin into it's own seat in the car!