Friday, September 28, 2007

Inspiration

This morning I had the honor of getting to know a parent that I've seen every morning and every afternoon during the school drop off and pickup.

Mr N. is there with his triplets every morning. Hanging out, like me, just 'cause the kids like the company. Not that they actually talk to us because they are in third grade now. But, because they at the very least, still like our presence.

I was given the gift of time to get to know my fellow parent. Brother has taken to going into the classroom with Sister. Following her around while she unpacks her backpack, writes down her homework and puts her lunch box on the shelf. Today, after morning announcements and the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, the teacher gathered everyone on the carpet for story time. Sister loves that this teacher reads every character in the story with a different voice and was quite happy to share story time with her brother.

Meanwhile I get to "interview" Mr. N. to discover that he has been raising four children as a single parent and that he's adjusted his work schedule to be able to be around his children when they need him most. Mom has been battling some health problems and hasn't been able to "be there" emotionally and physically for some time. The family has a Nanny that has been with them from the beginning.

Mr. N even admitted that people were starting to speculate that he may be living an alternative lifestyle because he was never seen dating. It was important to him that the children were not exposed the the rotating door of the dating world. He is living Attachment Parenting naturally. It's instinctual to him. He had never heard of the parenting style when I asked him about it.

While he was telling me his story I was continually inspired by the strength of his attachment to his children. I got the sense that he was really in tune with what each individual needed and his creative problem solving had me continually asking him, "How did you come up with that idea?"

Today, I count the inspiration that comes to us in the most humble and unexpected ways.

dacount

click the Da Count icon to learn more about Da Count.