Tuesday, September 11, 2007

the Budding Performance Artist


Through all of the stresses of transitioning into "real" schedules and car maintenance and deadlines I have discovered a new way of looking at some of my daughters most annoying habits.

The parental evolution continues...

Sister has always had a fascination with repeating sounds and babble over and over and over to the point of major irritation. She enjoyed doing it purely for the pleasure of irritating me. I know this because she would ask, "Mommy, are you annoyed yet?" at the tender age of four.

Yesterday, for the first time I answered, "Nope." and she was visibly and audibly disappointed. With new found resolve she began repeating her vocal pattern; droning through a 15 minute car ride continuously. It was fine. Actually, it became quite soothing. Then I remembered some experimental theater that I had seen in SF when Lecram took me to my first "Fringe"

At this moment I finally "got it." Oh, all right it's like six years later. But, that wacky performance that I saw in SF finally made sense to me.

click, zap, whir:: now the brain tingles as it's making new connections.

Now I see Sister as a performance artist and share the revelation with her. She is not quite sure how to react and continues the droning.

Sister begins a new experiment after breakfast the next morning that had Brother and I in stitches. She took us on a journey of repeated vocal patterning, bumps into a wall, car horn blasts in rhythm with her drone, she then announces, "5,000 years later." and simply crumbles to the floor in death and peace and quite.