Thursday, September 20, 2007

Da Count::The Family Bubble::


dacount

This week I count the strength of the "Family Bubble."

The car accident solidified my resolve and commitment to my family. I love my kids and the DH. We'll eventually learn how to communicate with each other peacefully.

But my kids showed me in the last two weeks how strong small people can be in the face of adversity. I had the opportunity to learn and to teach.

Brother, was the most patient kid through the car accident adventure. He accepted the situation and hung out. His zest for life never ending. Proven when he pulled the emergency call cord when we were in the potty at the emergency room. "Mommy, what this red string do?" and me having to open the door with my pants half zipped to tell 10 running attendants and police officers that it was okay. "Curious, three year old! We are okay." Everyone looked a bit disappointed in that ER.

Sister, learned today about facing "unknown" fears and general public hysteria. I'm referring to the bomb scare that closed many school districts today. Our Superintendent consulted the police dept. and felt safe enough to open school for business as usual. The Administrators let the "parents decide" what they should do with the children. "We will understand if you decide not to send your child to school tomorrow." the note sent in the backpack said.

While brushing her hair into the required pony tail 'cause there is lice going around school, she asked very intelligent questions about the situation. I told it to her straight . What the news was reporting, what the principle had reported at the PTO meeting, the precautions, the speculations and that most importantly she needs to continue to listen to her gut. Her intuition is really on target. AND what to do if she gets "that" feeling and a little lecture about how to act IF there is an emergency and how we'll get back together. A jam packed life lesson in disaster response and etiquette in a space of ten minutes. Including the fact that I was more afraid of her getting lice than anything happening at her school.

I now live in a neighborhood where people work in the Financial District and either have lost someone or know someone or were in 9/11. So, any security threat is not taken lightly. It's palpable the fear in the air during this bomb threat and everyone has DISASTER on the top of their minds. When 9/11 happened I was living on the West Coast and don't have the same feelings as people here. The pain lives in their bodies and permeates the air at times of alarm or crisis.


The History of The Bubble: When DH and I found out we were pregnant we had a 24 hour sit in in the bedroom. Discussion, meditation, visualization and cheese and crackers are the memories that I carry with me. It was than that we combined our two individual bubbles into a larger one. Now we have a Family Bubble. It's a code word to remind us of our commitment and dedication to taking care of each other.


image credit: check out all of the other cool abstract bubble art here.

click the Da Count icon at the top of this post to learn more about Da Count.