Saturday, January 05, 2008

Nine Years!!!

Today is the 9th anniversary of the birth of my daughter. A truly life changing event.

The first thought that comes to mind is my Dad's own joke of "I'm not old enough to have a 9 year old." This phrase has ever evolving meanings for me. Having children around me everyday, every minute challenges me to be a mature person in so many ways. Here is a confession. Sometimes I am not ready to face the challenges and fail miserably. I've learned that there will be other opportunities to practice that "grown up" skill again until I get it right.

Sister and I share a fun numerology in that she was born 1 month before my 3oth birthday. Whatever age she is just add 30 and that's how old I am! She gets a kick out of it and it's easier for me to remember my age too. I still think of myself as a 30 year old sometimes.

Today we are preparing the house for a gaggle of giggling girls to celebrate with a Pajama Party. Not a Sleep Over. We organized the itinerary of the festivities, mixer games for everyone to get to know each other a pillowcase tie-dye activity, snacks and cupcakes.

Sister is happy to be mixing up her friends. She has friends from school, friends from the neighborhood, friends from dance class and friends from Ethical Society coming to help her celebrate. It's amazing to think that we have been in our new home and new city for only 2 1/2 years!

Let the baking and party preparations begin!