Geek Out
Just hanging out with my new laptop and the DH snoring beside me. Yep, everyone is in bed and I am having an insomniac moment.
It took a couple of years to finally commit to purchasing a laptop. The DH finally approved the purchase when he realized that he needed more access to the desktop computer that we already had to finish his thesis.
Those of you following the thesis saga... he is on track for finishing. Yay! It's going to cost $3,500 for a statistition to evaluate his survey data and create pretty charts and graphs. Ouch! But, that part of the work will be completed in a couple of weeks instead of years since DH is not a statistically talented over achiever etc.
Back to me. This is all about me and my laptop. At least it's keeping my lap warm. Anyway, it's been an adventure loading up software ordering memory being told by a professional geek that the card was actually for a desktop computer, ug again. The whole thing just reminds me about how geeky I am not when it comes to computers. If it wasn't for my friends keeping me informed who knows where I would be.
I've created a new mantra for myself. Get help and accept help even if you have to hire it. A cleaning lady came the other week and rescued the family from giant dust bunnies, the baby sitter has rescued the DS from boredom and given mom a chance to have a complete thought. This week, I called in the Geek Squad to secure my wireless network. Yep, finally threw in the towel. I could not figure it out. Believe me, I tried for months to no avail. I clicked so many combinations of buttons that the DH had to bring his laptop back to the office for a trouble call. I think the report was that it took about 4 hours to get it reconfigured properly.
The "Agent" arrived and secured my wireless network in about 20 seconds. It happend to be his "specialty". I did have a fleeting moment of geekdom when I was able to stump the Agent with a Windows question. Want to give it a try? See if you can figure it out.
How do you get your desktop icons etc. to sit on the task bar?
One day my two year old was "typing" at the computer and blip, the desktop icons were all a missing. No, they were on the taskbar in a "desktop >>" icon that turned out to be a popup window and viola, all desktop icons and other things were in a nice tidy list. Very neat and accessible.
The paid Geek from Geek Squad was stumped. He actually said that he had never seen anyones task bar set up like that before. Hmmm. Very interesting. Secretly, I think he liked the idea.
Geek - over and out.


|