Sunday, June 11, 2006

Turn, Turn, Turn

Saturday began normally enough with the feeding of screaming children, mowing of the too long lawn and the Saturday morning housework.

By 2:30 pm I was running out the door with full makeup on for the "unRecital" the dance studio end of the year recital.

Standing in the wings, watching the 5 year olds have their fun dancing with colored scarves under the bright lights, the audience was clapping and cheering having as much fun as the kids, I became teary-eyed and had to look up so that the tears wouldn't run and ruin my makeup. I felt the past, present and future all at once. Time folded around me.

In between the mental gymnastics of remembering the choreography and calming the butterflies of excitement I got goofy. "Oh my god! I'm on a real stage. With a real back stage. With real dressing rooms. Yes, that's plural, dressing roomsssss, the men are separated from the women with real doors and walls, the kids have their own dressing room and there are showers and bathrooms in the dressing rooms with lighted mirrors and monitors so that we can hear the audio from the stage and totally awesome, there is a practice studio in the back stage area, and a green room that they actually painted green!"

Okay, I was dancing for free for friends and family but it's been a long year of transitions. I've missed the camaraderie of my old dance troupe and my theatre friends. I've just missed it all and them.

Back in the shadows behind the curtain I felt comfortable for the first time in a long time. I was in the place that I was meant to be. The page turn was audible.

photo by lui lui