Monday, August 14, 2006

Panic Writing

The panic of deadlines and writing.

I'm a graphic designer who can sometimes write, but someone must always check my spelling. The sharp witty comment is not my style. How do I write a bio about myself that will be compelling? Well, at least seem cool? Or maybe I should just face the music and be a nerd with a capital N!

Besides a bio to write there are a couple of press releases that need to be done about a show that I am totally stumped about. For one thing, it's a show about Hip Hop, something of which I know nothing about and am not cool enough to know any of the hip lingo or slang or whatever it is called....

edit: Alrighty then, I wrote a bio for my dance group. For real, I get to be a founding member of Raqs La'Majali. A World Fusion Dance Experience. Here is the first draft of the dance bio. Next the press releases.



Na’ila (Lisa Repasky-Sandhusen) began bellydancing at the age of 25 as a way to combat the weight gain and boredom of sitting at a computer all day. She began studying Turkish and Egyptian style with Tahja from Sarasota Florida. Later, she studied American retro-cabaret, Arabic, Egyptian, Moroccan and Turkish bellydance with Ely Buffin, in Fresno California. As a principle dancer in the Ananka Dance Company directed and choreographed by Ely Buffin, Na’ila performed at many festivals, private parties, restaurants and haflas.

Na’ila also studied Flamenco and Classical Spanish Dance with Adriana Sanchez at Adriana’s Spanish Dance studio.

Na’ila has been bringing the rich her-stories of Middle Eastern Dance traditions and modern fusion to her students for over three years.

Prop Available for performance: Cane, Sword, Tray, Veil, Shawl and Fan

Some of the Wonderful Dancers who’s workshops I’ve been able to attend:
(in no particular order)
Judeen
Delilah
Shareen El Safi
Dahlia Carella
Nourhan Sharif
Yousry Sharif
Tayyar Akdeniz
Elizabeth Artemis Mourat
Kajira Djoumahna
DaVid
Karim Nagi
Dr. Robyn C. Friend
L'Emir Hassan Harfouche
Mike Salakian
Amel Tafsout
Patricia
Rachel Lazarus-Soto
Rachel Brice